Wednesday

Wednesday 26th March 1808

Dear Diary,
I fear I spoke too soon. I had but a few hours to enjoy my home alone with my family before we were invaded by France. Forgive me if I appear somewhat dramatic but it is the truth. This afternoon three large coaches drew up the drive bringing Countess Cornelia Du Plessis and her entourage. I was aware she was to visit but Mother had been coy as to the actual date of arrival and I was taken completely unawares. I have scarcely had to time to rest my facial muscles from forced smiling for Mrs Norris. I doubt I shall survive the next four days.
The Countess swept in, declaring " Ah am so 'appee to be 'ere wiz you".
It seemed the cheek kissing would never end and then she waved in gifts of French cheese!
Heavens! These Continentals take the offensive early!

No comments: