Monday

Monday 10th March 1808

Dear Diary,
After Chapel, yesterday, I walked awhile with Fanny and Miss Noring and Miss Lott, the ladies from Cobbler's End. We enjoyed a gentle perambulation and as we parted they remarked upon the length of my hair and offered to cut it for me if I so wished. I hesitated for a moment but then I thanked them kindly and asked when would be convenient for me to call upon them. They agreed 'tomorrow' and so today I walked to Cobbler's End for my appointment. They do, indeed, have a lovely garden and even at this time of year, when colour is scarce, I could appreciate the tender care apparent in their beds. I was still looking back admiring the topiary as I reached for the knocker. There was a sudden loud cough as I found my hand grasping one of Miss Noring's breasts. She must have opened the door as I was reaching to announce my arrival. I gasped and snatched back my hand, then we both laughed at the unfortunate occurrence. I was ushered into their parlour and noted the chair placed before the hearth in readiness. Miss Lott appeared to be tidying and dusting the sideboard and was removing all manner of clutter and rearranging the drawers. Miss Noring took my coat and asked if I would like refreshment but I declined. Afterwards I wished I had for my mouth was quite dry with nervousness. Could I trust these ladies with my locks? I felt it unseemly to decline their kind offer of a coiffure. I sat in the chair as Miss Noring appeared with the scissors. I need not have worried so, for Miss Noring's fingers worked nimbly and soon I was admiring myself in their mirror. I now felt able to admit my initial reservations.
" I need not have been ill-at-ease for you have made a splendid job of it Miss Noring, " I admitted. " I should have heeded Fanny when she declared I only had to see your neatly trimmed bushes to see that it would be so."
How I leapt when Miss Lott dropped her drawers!
I always seem to say the wrong thing and I know not how I do it.

No comments: