Saturday

Saturday 22nd March 1808

Dear Diary,
I am abed. I have such dreadful sniffles. Either I caught a chill riding into Cobbler's Bottom or Willy Tert gave me more than a bruised ego. I have remained confined to the West Wing but I have been well attended. Mrs Crutchlow and Titty have seen to it that I have not gone hungry and Fanny has been up to entertain with a tale of what occurred earlier when Mrs Norris's pug tried to lick Fanny's pussy. Ned has been most industrious and ensured I have had wood for much of my recuperation. Even Mrs Norris paid me a visit to show me her latest cross stitch and to probe me about events and acquaintances at Effin Hall.
I am starting to feel myself again...if only I did not have so many interruptions!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear Mr. Austen,

I was dismayed to hear of your illness. I am sure you must have caught it from one of those unsanitary children.
It is my confirmed view that children should be sent to boarding schools ( preferably abroad ), or sold to factory owners where they can earn an honest living.
There is NOTHING worse than a lazy child!

Yours etc, Sir Studly Buckwell

Wayne Austen said...

My dear Mr Buckwell,

On the contrary, I am rather fond of children, but I couldn't eat a whole one!

Yours controversially,

Wayne Austen