Monday

Monday 24th March 1808

Dear Diary,
I find myself much recovered and yesterday ventured to the Chapel to endure the Parson's Easter Sermon then home to the Grange to a substantial meal prepared by Mrs Crutchlow. I noted Mrs Norris appears to have regained her appetite for goose after the unfortunate incident at Christmas. She tucked into the mound of breast meat, upon her plate, with relish, though I much prefer gravy upon mine. After the feast Fanny played the pianoforte to the accompaniment of snoring from Father and the replete Mrs Norris. Her poor pug quivered under the chaise longue and I know not whether it was the rasping of his mistress's breath or fear of Fanny's Tuppence. Such cold weather we have endured these past days and even a sprinkling of snow. How I long for the warmer days of spring and the rising of the sap!

1 comment:

Wayne Austen said...

My Dear Mr Arthur,

I thank you most heartily for your correspondance of Saturday 15th March. Be assured that I felt no intrusion and if it were intrusion I gladly welcome intrusion. I cannot remember when I was last intruded upon, sadly.
I am delighted to hear of the pleasure I give you. You are indeed correct when you say that joy is best shared. I, also, believe that, most ardently. Know that you have given me great pleasure in return.

My kind regards to you, all at Harden Mansion and the good folk of Warmleigh Hole.

Yours, much more healthily
Wayne Austen.