Saturday

Saturday 15th March 1808

Dear Diary,
I know not why I allow myself to end up in these situations. Last night I found it most difficult to dispose of the Effin cheese whilst under the, almost, continuous gaze of Evelyn Tent. The cubes I stuck to the underside of the table will not be discovered until I am long gone and the rest which I secreted in my breeches, I cast from the window of my bedroom in the midst of the night.
This morning, after breakfast, Malcolm took me for a stroll in the Effin Forest, which at least afforded some escape and distraction. I found myself manipulated into spending much of the afternoon in the company of Evelyn and her chaperone, an elderly Miss Bacon. We wandered the gardens and Evelyn kept trying to increase the pace to lose the old woman that tottered behind us. She became quite exasperated as I helped Miss Bacon up the steps on the hillier parts of the grounds. We came to a seat that looked out across the Effin Valley and sat awhile to admire the view and to allow Miss Bacon time to regain her breath. Evelyn sulked as I chatted to the old woman. I must confess I found Miss Bacon's company much more agreeable than my cousin's.
After a short time we returned to the house and encountered Malcolm at the front of the house, staring at a dead peacock at his feet. Evelyn gasped and covered her eyes but Miss Bacon, absorbed in the telling of a tale about the Effin Hunt, came to rest upon the dead bird's head. Evelyn shrieked loudly and only then did Miss Bacon become aware of what lay under her feet. Seemingly fearing she was the cause of it's death, she immediately went into a faint. Thank heavens, Malcolm was there to assist me in her catching, for if I had been alone I fear she would still have dropped like a stone. We dragged, rather than carried, Miss Bacon to the steps and sat her down. Evelyn, half-heartedly, wafted her with her shawl until she regained her senses.
" Fear not! Miss Bacon" said Malcolm, " the bird died from asphyxiation and not by your hand, or foot in this case."
"Asphyxiation?" queried Evelyn, "but how?"
"It appears to have choked upon some cubes of cheese. I cannot understand it myself," said Malcolm. "It's all most peculiar."
I do not think anyone noticed me flushing as we helped Miss Bacon to her feet and indoors.
"It was very nice to make your acquaintance, Miss Bacon," I said, as I took my leave.
"Oh, please" she smiled,weakly, "call me Megan "

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr Austen

Forgive the possibly intrusive nature of my missive. Much as I would dislike to intrude upon yourself, I feel that I can no longer resist. I have long felt that I ought to contact you in order to inform you of the deep inner joy that your Diary brings me; a joy that I have indeed shared with others (for as God intended, I have found that the joys that we can share with others in turn bring us a deeper pleasure than those which we keep to ourselves).

I am sorry to hear of your recent reason for taking to bed but glad we all were to hear that Ned has enabled you to have wood throughout your convalescence.

We all wish you a speedy recovery to full health and look forward immensely to hearing of your continuing ventures with Python, Todger et al.

You are a man who never fails to pleasure us.

With many kind regards

Martin Arthur
Harden Mansion
Warmleigh Hole

Wayne Austen said...

My Dear Mr Arthur,

I trust you have seen my reply, posted Monday 24th March.

Yours explanationally,

Wayne Austen.