Friday

Friday 7th March 1808

Dear Diary,
How interesting ants are. I came upon some in my bush today, or rather they came upon me. They could not get up my breeches as I had stuffed them into my stockings to prevent further multi-legged trespassers. I found their activities diverting on a miserable and lonely day. During the third shower of the day, I finally surrendered my cause and stood in a fit of pique. It was only then that I noticed my 'quarry' had been lying watching me some distance behind me. I thrust the sausage, I had brought to tempt it home, at it in annoyance and stomped down the hill. Unexpectedly, it followed me and once back at the Grange, I wish I could chronicle a lengthy battle to capture it, but no, it meekly followed me into the stables where I was able to shut it in. Of course I did expand upon the truth of it's capture at dinner and enjoyed the appreciation of my achievement. The beast's fate lies in my Father's hands now. I trust he will not neglect his Willie.

No comments: