Tuesday

Tuesday 11th March 1808

Dear Diary,
Fanny whispered to me at breakfast that Ned had confided in her and told her he had feelings for someone in our house. I cannot deny my heart skipped a beat, as I thought of those lovely blue eyes. She said he did not know how to make his feelings known and maybe needed some encouragement. Spurred on, I skipped into the garden and found him tending the rhubarb.
" Hello Ned" I spoke nonchalantly. He stood and touched the peak of his cap.
" I cannot help but observe there is something troubling you as you are tending your stems," I remarked.
" Indeed, Mr Austen, Sir, I have a great deal on my mind, in fact I find myself 'inflatulated' by someone close by and I know not how to broach the subject."
I stepped forward and clutched both his arms, " Just say the words," I breathed, " Just open your heart and speak."
He stared deep into my eyes and I felt myself falling into them. I released my grip and closed my eyes and waited for him to speak but reply, came there none. When I opened my eyes Ned had gone.
As it transpires he went straight to Titty Clamp with a bouquet of rhubarb.
I went straight to bed with Christopher Marlowe and Doctor Faustus and let them entertain me for the rest of the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE "inflatulated"!