Thursday

Thursday 27th March 1808

Cher Journal Intime,
Je souris toujours mais la Contesse est la reine des sourires. Assez!
I have never seen a woman smile so much. It is not natural. She finds delight in all she surveys. I can only surmise that it is all some affectation or life in France is extremely dull.
Much of the talk at breakfast was of the fate of Nicholas de Lacy Brown, an educated man, on his way up the ladder of life but whose lack of thought, before speaking, sent him skidding down a snake. The Countess beamed throughout the conversation and then, turning attention back to herself, asked;
"Mon cher Wayne, wat ees eet you want most from life?"
It was far too deep a question to ponder at such an early hour, and I found myself stuttering, with my fork midway to my mouth.
"Speaking for myself, all ah seek from life ees 'appenis!" she continued.
As I looked around at all the other wavering forks how I wished I had been able to say that too.

No comments: