Tuesday

Tuesday 18th March 1808

Dear Diary,
My efforts to avoid Mrs Norris happily succeeded until late this afternoon when she discovered me lurking in Ned's shed. I smiled, weakly as she peered in and then jumped as she snapped,
"Wayne! Put down Ned's tool and follow me," and she lead me to the seat beneath the beech tree that Ned had erected. "Sit!" she commanded, as much as if she were addressing that dreadful rodent of hers. "Wayne, you ought to be married, a man of your years and breeding. Do you not find Miss Honey Pott to be agreeable and acceptable? Is she not a handsome young woman? I doubt you will find a finer, more accomplished and well read admirer anywhere? I simply cannot understand it! What is it you seek in a companion?"
I wonder, now, what her reaction would have been if I had spoken what I really wanted to say at that moment...
"Well, a moustache would be most pleasing for a start,"....... but I did not.
Stupidly, I said that there was someone whom I admired but did not feel able to confess it at present. She regarded me closely and then sighed despairingly. I do not believe she was satisfied with my answer and I fear I have only served to enflame her curiosity.
" Come," she sighed, " let us prepare for dinner, oh and I want to hear how you came to find this new hound of your Father's. What is it he has called it?"
"Todger." I replied.

No comments: