Wednesday

Wednesday 7th September 1811

 Dear Diary,
I am preparing seedlings for my garden. I have already tried to raise some Aubretia seedlings outdoors but only succeeded in feeding the slugs.
I am determined to have this lovely flower cascading from my herbaceous borders and thus have some seedlings now upon an upstairs window-sill safe indoors from those hideous slimy creatures.
I have seen or heard nought of that impudent rodent since our return. I can only assume it left our home out of lack of company.
I saw Cain approaching along the lane this afternoon but hid in my closet at his knocking. When it subsided I peeked into the garden and saw him conversing with Harden Thicke. I saw Harden gesticulate towards the house and then shrug those broad, muscular shoulders. Cain turned and looked towards the house and I dropped to me knees and almost did myself some mischief. When I next dared to look Cain had gone and Harden was back to his raking.
How strange it is not to have Willow around now that he is back teaching at the school during the day. I feel quite idle and need to find something to occupy my hands.

No comments: