Wednesday

Wednesday 14th September 1811

Dear Diary,
It is always a pleasure to start the morning with a warm sausage inside one.
Despite the vexation and upset I have caused I am happy to have Mrs Crutchlow at my stove.
This afternoon she walked in upon me in the parlour with my lips pressed to Willow's pink oboe.
"He allows me to," I smiled guiltily.
She ran her duster over my knick-knacks.
I took a deep breath.
"Mrs Crutchlow, " I began, "I feel...er...bound to inform you, now that you are a trusted member of this household of the...er...true nature of my...er...bond with Willow..."
She turned from buffing my Norma Stitts and held up a hand.
"Forgive my interruption but there is no need for any further explanation. I have always known you to be...," 
the hesitation was now hers,"...a confirmed bachelor, Mr Austen." 
She smiled and returned to her task and I relaxed into my chair and cast a gaze outside to the garden beyond.
"It pleases me to see you so happy," she said.

No comments: