Sunday

Saturday 24th September 1811

Dear Diary,
Willow is very much taken with his 'Homeau' and has ridden him often since his arrival.
Yesterday morn, whilst he was out upon one of his rides, I received a visitor.
I was just descending the stairs when there came a knock upon the door.
Mrs Crutchlow hurried out to open it and then promptly shut it again.
"Its 'him!' She spat returning to the Kitchen.
I opened the door again.
"I trust you will not allow that insolent woman to get way with that!" Cain was livid as he pointed his crop at me.
"She is her own woman with her own opinions and tastes. I am afraid brother you are not to her taste and therefore shall have to live with her rejection of you. I am sure you are man enough to weather it after all you did survive an encounter with ferocious tiger whist in India, did you not?"
"Indeed," he said slapping his crop to his thigh.
"And to what end do we owe the pleasure of your visit?" I smiled.
"I am to invite you and your Willy to dinner tomorrow after Chapel," he said.
"His name is Willow," I corrected.
"Well, whatever. Shall I say you accept?"
"Of course!" I tried to sound delighted. "Nothing pleases me more than spending time in the bosom of my family."
"Until then." He nodded and stalked off.
I closed the door.
"Bosom of your family indeed! If they are a bosom then he is the biggest pimple on it," snorted Mrs Crutchlow who had crept back out behind the door to eavesdrop.
"Yes, indeed, like a wart, a third enormous nip......"
"Thank you, Mrs Crutchlow!" I interrupted. "I am in need of a stiff one. Would you be so kind as to fetch it?"
The evening brought the revelation of the reason for Willow's mysterious absences of late. 
He told me we were to see a play and we rode in the evening to a woodland on the shores of Nethermere.
Such delightful surroundings they were as we took our seats upon a woodland stump.
The play was just about to begin when he excused himself saying he was in need of some refreshment.
Imagine my surprise when it transpired he was one of the 'thespians'!
Indeed he was one of a trio of witches who howled and shrieked over their cauldron and foretold 'doom' in all that followed. They were not incorrect.
It was a tad on the morbid side for my tastes and practically the whole cast ended up dead but I applauded with the rest of the audience. I sensed they were as relieved as I at its conclusion.
"I wish you had told me sooner," I said as we rode home, "I perhaps could have played a part. I am well known in these parts for my 'Dick' and am sure I would have drawn a healthier audience. Many have said it to be the best portrayal of 'Whittington' they have ever seen."
He spurred Homeau on and I could scarcely keep up.
I have risen early before Chapel to appraise you of yesterdays events.
I shall see you again afore bed.

No comments: