Wednesday

Wednesday 28th September 1811

Dear Diary,
Although I feel crushed by Cain's dreadful news, life goes on.
Grey clouds and rain would have suited my mood today and yet for once it was not to be. The sun came out in all its glory and the day was glorious. No doubt those swallows that left for warmer climes are pecking themselves in vexation.
Today is my Mother's birthday. She and Father had left early in the afternoon, spurred on by the weather, to spend a weekend at their cottage retreat that overlooks Nethercombe Bay.
Willow and I rode thither later in the day to surprise her and offer our birthday greetings since we had not had the opportunity earlier in the day.
The journey was pleasant and the sunset quite magnificent and I almost forgot that 'my' Knob was gravely threatened. We arrived at dusk and caught her by surprise in her night gown but she was pleased to see us.
We did not intrude long and rode home by way of Netherside where we called at an Inn for refreshment,  Two Fighting Cocks. I enjoyed my steak but Willow was disappointed with his Wexford chicken and exclaimed it to be far too peppery. I was not surprised at his disappointment for it was also covered in cheese! We rode the leafy lanes home in the dark. At one point I was nearly thrown from Python when a deer leapt out upon the path ahead.
We arrived home just as Mrs Tull was leaving Knob End. She had called upon Mrs Crutchlow while my parents were away seeking her advice upon their favourite dishes and other tips on how to run the kitchen up at The Grange.
"Feel free to call again any time Mrs Tull," I said.
"There you go, now you have no excuse," smiled Mrs Crutchlow, "Bye Jenny, and mind you don't over butter them crumpets!"

No comments: