Friday

Friday 23rd September 1811

Dear Diary,
I rose early before even Willow stirred and fetched his present from its hiding place at Thrushcock Grange.
I fastened it to Ned's erection beneath the beech tree and went in to waken him.
I asked him to cover his eyes and led him into the parlour in his night gown.
"Is it a mini-goat?" He asked eagerly.
"No," I replied. "Open your eyes and see."
He did and gasped in surprise.
There in the garden stood the beautiful chestnut stallion I had acquired for him at some expense.
"I do hope it will follow your command," I said a little unsure. "I have had it shipped from a highly recommended stud in France. The Countess Cornelia Du Plessis acquires all her horses from them. "
Willow was already hurrying outside.
"Perhaps you should dress first," I called after him, but he had gone.
I hurried out just in time to see him swing up onto its back. His nightshirt rode up.
I could see he was excited.
"What shall I call him?" He smiled from astride his birthday present.
"Homeau!" I replied.
 Willow - For it is he.

No comments: