Sunday

Sunday 4th September 1811

Dear Diary,
The perfect day for outdoor activities and yet we remained inside. I thought it best to save all my energies for the luncheon in the afternoon. 
We wandered up to the Grange sometime after three.
Fanny greeted us with a cheerful smile and lead us into the parlour. Mother was sewing by the fire and Father was reading. They both rose to greet us.
"And where is my dear brother," I asked.
"He is to Netherton, on business," said my Father.
"What business?" I was curious but happy and relieved at his absence.
"He did not offer up any details," said Mother returning to her sewing.
"And I hardly cared to ask," said Fanny, "now sit and tell us of your adventures." She patted the sofa beside her. It was covered with hairs from her pussy but I acquiesced.
Mrs Crutchlow had prepared a magnificent repast of roast lamb.
It was wonderful to be home in the bosom of my family.

No comments: