Thursday

Thursday 1st September 1811

Dear Diary,
One cannot deny the excitement I felt as we approached the Nethers.
How green everything was although sadly the sun was obscured by a blanket of sombre cloud and did not show its face in friendly greeting. I strained from the window for a glimpse of my Knob and saw it standing proud above the weald.
I waved the driver on past Thrushcross Grange eager to see Knob End. There will be time later to regale my family with tales of my adventures.
The house looked much as I had left it and I left Willow struggling with his unwieldy instrument to rush indoors.
I confess since observing the ravages at Frogknot of the rodent infestation there that I had feared for my drapery and soft furnishings but I was pleasantly surprised to find all was well and indeed there appeared to be no evidence of the cunning beast that I had suspected was gnawing upon my knick-knacks. 
I suspected the hand of Mrs Crutchlow in the obvious neatness about the place and smiled at familiarity and comfort of my own surroundings once more.
I moved to the parlour window and looked out upon the garden. I could see that Harden Thicke had been very industrious in my absence. A wide area had been weeded and raked and looked ready to be sown with seed for the lawn and over to the right there was a goodly sized area turned over and neatly bordered with stones that was to be our vegetable garden. I clasped my hands in joy at the sight and then I saw it, there beneath the branches of the Chestnut tree, semi erect, Ned's erection. Though not yet finished I gasped at its magnificence and hurried out to try examine it more closely. I pushed past Willow struggling in through the door with our luggage and out into the garden.
As I approached across the partly laid pathway I was suddenly halted in my steps by the sight of someone already seated upon 'my' erection. It was not anyone I recognised certainly and I moved on at apace and cleared my throat;
"Ahem! Excuse me, I think you will find that this is private property and you, sir, are trespassing upon it! I urge you quickly to retreat or I shall have need to call upon my my hefty man servant to remove you forthwith!"
The fellow did not move as I came up behind him. I waited for some response and when it came I was dumbstruck!
"Oh surely there is no call for that," said a voice I recognised, " after all, I am family."
He stood and turned round and there was that familiar sneering smile and those duplicitous eyes.
"Come brother, embrace me," he said as he held out his arms.
I was utterly stunned and stood my ground. I felt myself trembling like a rabbit cornered by a fox.
"Hello, Cain," I managed to find my voice.
"What a pleasant surprise." 
I lied.

No comments: