Sunday

Sunday 11th September 1811

Dear Diary,
The 'Fates' have been as kind today as they were unkind yesterday!
No sooner had I entered the kitchen this morning than 'that' rodent came scurrying along the floor towards me!
I swear there was malevolence in its eyes.
I leapt in to the air and upon landing looked around to ascertain its whereabouts and by happy fortune my left foot had come down upon the tip of its tail. It was all I could do not to scream and lift my foot to release it but I gathered my wits and grabbing a pot finally had the beast captured.
I am unsure if there was Divine Intervention but whilst at Chapel this morning a wonderful and yet heinous idea found its way into my head.
So, at lunch this afternoon up at The Grange, it just so happened that as Titty raised the cloche upon my dear brother's roast beef he found a mouse sitting quite comfortably in his Yorkshire pudding.
I must say for someone who had encountered a tiger whilst in India, he did seem most alarmed at the sight of a tiny mouse!

No comments: