Saturday

Saturday 17th September 1811

Dear Diary,
The first of our guests arrived just after midday.
I was alerted to his arrival by the sound of heavy breathing through the open bedroom window as I was making final adjustments to my welcome attire.
I discovered it was the four horses pulling the coach that were panting so heavily.
My good friend Mr McVay had arrived from his home upon the coast.
Willow, Mrs Crutchlow and I were still trying to extricate him from his coach when our second guest Mr Griffiths, from Manchesterford, approached upon his sprightly steed 'Princess'. With his help, and a little of the lubricant he always carried in his saddlebag, we were able to finally welcome Mr McVay properly.
We adjourned to the parlour and chatted happily over tea. 
Mr Griffiths told us of his new enterprise and expertise in the field of diamonds and his growing love of all things Indian, while Mr McVay, between mouthfuls of Mrs Crutchlow's delicious biscuits, told us of his new found skill in fashioning dresses for young women and of a marvellous experience recently in London that left him quite breathless.
"I should think most things leave you quite breathless," quipped Mr Griffiths cocking his head so jauntily that the ostrich feather in his hat almost quivered out!
Mr McVay showed us some etchings he had made of a gentleman acquaintance in London 'deshabillé''.
I was so shocked I bit into my éclair somewhat too sharply and ended up with cream up my nostrils.
We ventured to the shores of Netherwater for some fresh air and sat upon a rug listening to the lapping water.
Mr Griffiths told us further tales of India while Mr McVay happily ate two éclairs at once.
A gentleman approached in haste but as he drew near apologised;
"Oh, I am sorry," he said "from a distance I believed I saw a  beached walrus but I see I am mistaken now," and he scurried away.
Once more in the pleasant surrounds of Knob End we enjoyed a delicious Italian meal that Willow had created. 
How talented he is!
Mr McVay had to return to the coast in the evening to trim some fat quarters.
We sent him off with some of the 'Fukatcha' bread Willow had baked.
We have all enjoyed a very pleasant day indeed.

No comments: