Thursday

Thursday 15th September 1811

Dear Diary,
Such a bright and cloudless sky was a welcome greeting as I parted my drapes this morn.
I avoided mounting The Knob for my constitutional as Mrs Crutchlow informs me it has become a favoured haunt of my 'dear' brother these past weeks when he is at The Grange.
I wandered through the woods and past the Chapel and noticed nigh on fifty swallows lined up upon the ridge of the roof. How typical that upon the sunniest of days since our return from Queensland they make their preparations for departure from us.
On my return I espied Ned elbow deep in a heifer in a quiet corner of one of his meadows. He waved with his free hand before removing the other and wandering over to me by the hedge.
"Lovely day for it, Mr Austen," he smiled.
"Indeed," I said, " whatever it is you were doing to that poor beast."
"Nah," he said, "I don't mean 'insperminating' I mean a lovely day for walking."
"Oh," I said.
"I bet I know what you're going to do," he said pointing up at The Knob with a soiled finger.
I shook my head.
"I am eschewing The Knob today, Ned." I sighed.
A sudden uneasiness came over him and he looked around uncomfortably.
"What you do in the privacy of your home is nowt to do wi' me." He blushed.

No comments: