Thursday

Thursday 29th November 1807

Dear Diary,
Shocking news! Farmer Clamp's cock will rise no more. By the time I was aware I had overslept it was already lying limp. I did not hear the shot that killed it but Fanny did. Rumours abound as to who it was that fired the deadly shot but in truth no one really knows. It was indeed a rude awakening for Father's Willie. The poor little mite was trembling in Father's hands as he gently stroked its head, in his lap, at breakfast. Fanny and I spent much of the afternoon practising our waltzing in the dining room. The Parson called in this eve after visiting the Clamp's to offer his heartfelt condolences on their loss. He expressed his desire to meet Old Tom's successor and patted little Willie's head enthusiastically. I am not so easily fooled, well, not since Mrs Norris's recent contrivance and I believe the real reason for his visit was more of an inclination for getting his hands on Mrs Crutchlow's buns!

No comments: