Monday

Monday 5th November 1807

Dear Diary,
I am all of a quiver. I have just, this moment, returned from a brisk ride upon Cobbler's Knob and have scarce had time to adjust the seat of my breeches, and yet I am compelled to set to and commence this diary I have, so long, postponed. T'was only yesterday, whilst plaiting the hair of my dear Fanny, beneath the seclusion of the willow down by the river, that I felt a stirring deep down. Oh, how we screamed when we discovered I was perched upon the entrance to the home of a water vole which was vigorously trying to exit. Without a care for anything or anyone I hurled my poor Fanny forward. How fortuitous that she can swim! She emerged dripping wet and once recovered we both laughed and she remarked how it would have been a fine tale for my diary if only I had begun it. I pondered her words and thought how fine Fanny looked, even wet and dripping. But it was just now upon the Knob, that it came to me! No more shall I dilly dally! No more shall I procrastinate! And so I have hurried home to begin at once, though I did venture into the lavatory for a moments relief, and here I am. I very much doubt I shall be able to prevail upon you daily but I shall endeavour to offer up my thoughts and inner most feelings and tell, oft ,of occurrences here at Thrushcock Grange and of my acquaintances. I hope that it will not be all balls. Indeed , I doubt that very much. Why does no one hold balls anymore? How I long for balls! I fear I shall have to hold balls of my own.