Saturday

Saturday 22nd December 1807

Dear Diary,
We are returned from Netherton. Such an eve of thespic delights, the costumes, the scenery and the smell of grease paint, all brought back my desire to tread the boards myself once more. My Dick (Whittington) is legendary in these parts and is oft talked of amongst those who have been lucky enough to see it. I was able to acquaint my family with Mr Ashforth's Goolies who were also in attendance. Father had booked rooms at the Inn for the night but I scarcely slept due to all the unfamiliar creaks and groans that ensued throughout the night. I shall have to have to retire earlier tonight in compensation. The weather has turned milder and the frost that has been ever present this past week has thawed. As I sit now, I am watching a Robin on the ivy outside my window. He is singing a merry tune and no doubt overjoyed himself that the frost has gone....oh, he is away, panicked by the approach of a carriage. Heaven help us, Mrs Norris is come!

No comments: