Monday

Monday 10th December 1807

Dear Diary,
Forgive me my absence but I have been otherwise engaged. I must confess I believe Mr Pratt's balls to be somewhat overestimated. I had been looking forward to attending with much anticipation but found it lacking in atmosphere as his countenance lacks a chin. He was quite attentive to Fanny until she drew him aside and informed him that she would and could not return his affections and entreated him to pursue a more persuadable suitor. I fear they shall also have to be blind and without taste whatsoever. Poor Jane was shadowed by the limping Mr Scrote. I thought at one moment she had been careless with her wine but it transpired it was dribble on her shoulder and not her own. Mr Ashforth enjoyed the spectacle immensely and I was almost forgotten. He spent much of the evening guffawing with Titus Canby. I shall say no more on the matter. Miss Honey Pott was also in attendance and Mrs Norris contrived to bring us together at every opportunity. She is dainty on her feet; I refer to Miss Potts and not Mrs Norris, who looked like an overstuffed badger in her black and white gown. All talk was of the recent engagement of Miss Emma Chisett to Justin Nuth. They are to live in the North. May God help them! It was a great relief to return to Thrushcock Grange and I vow to avoid Mr Pratt's balls hereafter.
Mr Ashforth departed Saturday morning. My farewell was not as effusive as my greeting. I know not when I shall see him again. I hurried to the pond in the hope of chancing upon Mr Fairweather but he was not there. However, how happy I was to come across him in the woods, after Chapel on Sunday, and we spent a day of delightful conversation. I have invited him up to the Grange at his earliest convenience. I wonder if he would like to become acquainted with Blind Man in the Buff?

No comments: