Wednesday

Wednesday 27th February 1808

Dear Diary,
It appears that the earth moved for much of the household during the night. How vexing that I did not feel it. At breakfast everyone conversed, animatedly, about their shared experience whilst I sat quietly and fiddled with my sausage. At least my toe is almost recovered but no one cared or asked about it. I gazed forlornly at the Knob through the window. It seems so long since I have been atop it and long for the exhilaration and breathlessness I feel in it's mounting.
Two notelets arrived for me after lunch. I am invited to dine with the Misses Forster and Dixon, my companions in the city, tomorrow evening in Cobbler's Bottom and shall look forward to that. The other message was from Mr Fairweather, who it seems has not forgotten me after all. Annoyingly the earth had moved for him too and asked if I had been jolted from prostration by the seism. Actually my bed did shudder briefly last night but that was due to an entirely different occurrence that a gentleman should never discuss.

No comments: