Saturday

Saturday 16th February 1808

Dear Diary,
I am far too compassionate a sibling...I cannot understand why I am compelled to see people happy even at my own expense! There was knock upon my door this morning and in slipped my elder sister.
"Hello?" I said " Can I help you? It's Jean, isn't it?"
She pushed me back on the bed and sat on me.
"Wayne dearest !" she said. "I have come to ask, of you, a favour."......and that is how I am spending tomorrow with another suitor of hers, the verbose Mr Wynde, a man of the outdoors and fresh air. He has intimated to her that he wanted to go out and get 'high' and so I am to take him up some hillock! In his five page letter he was full of his new residence but said he would recount the amusing tale of his drains when he arrived. I cannot tell you how much I look forward to that! My sister is now beholden to me and I shall seek repayment of this debt!
I shall stay up late to prolong tomorrow's coming. If only I had the pox, how fortuitous that would be!

No comments: