Thursday

Thursday 7th February 1808

Dear Diary,
I have been lax of late. Yesterday I was much taken up with arrangements and plans for my upcoming trip to London and spent long hours in discussion with Fanny about what I should wear.
Tonight I was invited to dinner at The Farrier's, an old hunting friend of my Father's. It was, indeed, a splendid evening of some of the most pleasant social intercourse I have enjoyed of late. Sat close by me at the table were Mrs Marrs, mother of the identical twins, Matthew and Abigail; Mrs Taylor, a woman whose wit is highly regarded by herself and the amusing spinsters Misses Forster and Dixon. Oh, happy fortune! You will never guess! Yes, the Misses are to London also, and what is more on the same coach as I! They are always pleasant company and I am sure will make the journey more agreeable. They have travelled widely and are full of tales of their adventures and mishaps abroad. Miss Dixon is most delightful and often speaks without thought or care for the consequences of her words. Tonight she gained the attention of the present company with her delightful kitten impressions and then shocked them all by telling of how she drowned them and all the while smiled her winsome smile. I hear tell there is not a bird she has not plucked and stuffed. I cannot wait to see what London will make of her.

No comments: