Monday

Monday 25th February 1808

Dear Diary,
There was a time not so long past when it was common place to be wakened, of a morn, by Farmer Clamp's cock, until it's untimely demise. The replacement, though stout and proud, has happily, been less than satisfactory at rising in the morning. However, it seems the Clamps are back to disturb my slumber as this morn I was knocked up by Titty Clamp, the farmer's daughter as she brought my lemon curd on toast. It transpires she has been taken on as a help to Mrs Crutchlow and all was decided whilst I was in London. I have always found her company agreeable and was pleased at her employment news. I sat up and said "Would you like to see my swollen digit?" She froze and looked startled and when I flung back the blanket, she screamed, dropped my toast and lemon curd and fled my chamber. She must have heard how awful it is to behold and was not up to it. A pity for I think it is much improved.

No comments: