Friday

Friday 15th February 1808

Dear Diary,
Such a bright, sunny day and yet so cold. The whole family went for a walk, even Jane forsook her books for the exercise, and it was most pleasant to be all together in the countryside. The snowdrops in the wood are out and no doubt soon there will be daffodils. On our return to the Grange I wandered into the garden to look for signs of spring and found Ned at work among the beds.
"It's nice to have you back Mr Austen." he said. I nodded, appreciatively.
"Do you think the sap is rising Ned? " I asked.
"I am sure of it Mr Austen" he replied.
"Well you would indeed know, with your green fingers." I quipped.
He looked down at his muddy hands and looked puzzled, then seized his tool and set to work once more.
I wondered what Mr McVay was doing at that very moment. Was he marvelling at some art?.... enjoying some play? He was most likely devouring a sausage. I quickly retired indoors to satiate myself.

No comments: