Wednesday

Wednesday 13th February 1808

Dear Diary,
Yesterday, I spent some time perusing the various boutiques and emporiums of this city. What a variety of merchandise is available for purchase! The Misses were to Kensington to exchange some jewellery but I rendezvoused with them for lunch before I saw them to their coach. We were only just in time and they almost had to leap aboard before it departed and so I did not feel our farewell adequate. I waved at their smiling faces peering from the carriage window as they headed back north.
In the evening, I met Mr McVay and once more spent an evening at the theatre. We had an excellent view, indeed our seats were on the first row and therefore had a marvellous view. It was a colourful feast of song, dance and laughter and told the tale of a rather plump girl who against all odds procured her man. There was one thespian who I noticed kept glancing at me as he was engaged in his art. He was indeed a most agreeable fellow and I could not help but glance back... frequently. It was all over when a fat lady sang. Afterwards I allowed Mr McVay to take me up the back passage and we accosted the thespians as they exited the theatre. I was amazed to discover that it had not been a fat lady at all but a fat man! He graciously signed my pamphlet as did the plump girl. I believe she was indeed female. I also noted the departure of the gentleman who had regarded me with some interest. He stood close by for a time but I was too coy to speak to him and when I next glanced about me, he had gone. I wish now that I had spoken to him and thanked him for the entertainment.
I was somewhat melancholy as I returned with Mr McVay to his lodgings south of the river but slept soundly upon his sofa.
Today Mr McVay, a real denizen of this city, gained us access to the King's Library and I was able to view some archaic texts and diaries including the Magna Carta. These ancients had such untidy handwriting and scarce write in proper English like what I do! Who knows, one day my own writings might be on display for others to see. I wonder what they will make of them.
The afternoon, before my forced departure, was once more spent in the company of thespians. I just love the theatre and I make no excuses for it. It was a grand spectacle and a tale set in the mountains with a number of singing nuns and most enjoyable it was too. I noticed one of the nuns kept on glancing at me but in this instance I ignored her or maybe it was a him...theatre in London can be so confusing.
I am of a mind to move to the City. It holds so much excitement and stimulation for a man like myself. I am reluctant to leave but, board the coach, I must. How I dread the journey without the jolly company of the Misses Dixon and Forster, and yet my feet ache so from all my perambulation and it will be some relief to rest them for awhile.
Farewell London, for now!

No comments: