Wednesday

Wednesday 5th October 1811

Dear Diary,
I was seated beneath the beech, upon Ned's erection, fingering my instrument in a dry interval between the rain showers, when I was startled by a voice;
"Pardon, Sir." It was Jenny Tull. "I 'ave some information."
I was under the impression that The Knob was 'common land' but it would appear that is not so. Mrs Tull imparted to me that Cain has been in correspondence with its true owner who has been swayed by his offer to buy. Cain's frequent visits to Netherton were part of his efforts to find allies in raising funds to buy the hill.
"Does the owner live in Netherton?" I enquired.
"I do not believe they do," said Jenny Tull, " I believe Mr Austen has only conversed with the gentlman by letter."
"Do you know how much my brother has offered?"
"I am sorry, I do not." I thought she was about to weep.
"Mrs Tull, I am very grateful for the information you have provided thus far. Please do not fret. If you find this all too taxing I shall press you no further for your help."
She smiled weakly.
"No, Mr Austen, I shall endeavour to seek out the answers to your questions as soon as is possible."
She pulled her shawl up against the wind and hurried back to the Grange.

No comments: