Monday

Monday 24th October 1811

Dear Diary,
We rose early despite still being quite fatigued with our lengthy journey.
Our lodgings were close by the Tower so we had only a cock's stride to our destination in the City.
I cannot tell you how my heart leapt in my chest as I stood on the step afore Number 13 Back Passage.
The door was ajar and invited entrance and we stepped in. I fiddled nervously with my moleskin mittens as we entered the hallway.
Suddenly a door opened and out stepped a gentleman quite fashionably dressed carrying a bundle of papers. He looked up upon noticing our presence.
"Can I be of assistance, Gentlemen?" He enquired, peering over the top of his spectacles.
" We are looking to speak with Mr F..F..." I stuttered in my anxiety.
"Do you have an appointment?" He interrupted briskly.
"Well, I...er...No." I replied.
"Good..." he said, "for I would have had to apologise for his absence as it is I can only inform you he is not here. He has been called away to Foulk Hall in the Trossachs and shall not return until the end of the week. Who shall I say called upon him?"
I was somewhat taken aback by this turn of events but gathered my wits to answer him.
"Austen," I replied, "Mr Austen."
"Ah, yes, Mr Austen, I have just this moment received your correspondence regarding the land purchase."
He held up a large brown envelope.
"Be assured that this matter shall be sealed upon his return from Scotland."
Willow stepped forward and took the envelope from his hand and now it was this fellows turn to be taken aback.
"How fortuitous we came," said Willow, "for we cannot wait until then."
The fellow looked at me with some concern.
"He is my partner." I smiled.
"We shall at once to these Trollocks..." said Willow.
"Trossachs," I corrected.
"Yes, Trossachs," said Willow, " and get this matter dealt with. Come Wayne.....I mean Cain. Let us ride."
He swept out with the envelope.
The gentleman stood there open mouthed peering over his spectacles.
"Good day." I smiled and disappeared up Back Passage.
Willow tossed the fragments of Cain's torn up letter into the Thames and we enjoyed the rest of the day and evening about the City.
"Shall we to the Theatre?" asked Willow.
"Why ever not." I replied. "I feel we could do anything after today. In fact, I feel quite 'Wicked'."

No comments: