Friday

Friday 28th October 1811

Dear Diary,
We rode as boldly as we could up to the entrance of Foulk Hall. 
By some fortuitous chance there was already a large gathering of gentlemen about the forecourt and by all accounts it would seem they were gathering for a hunt. A groom stepped forward and took away our horses and we slipped into the throng unnoticed.
How fitting that surrounded by these huntsmen we were embarking upon a hunt of our own.
"What does he look like?" Willow whispered as we walked through the grand entrance into the hall.
I shook my head and shrugged "I have no idea."
Suddenly there came a voice from the top of the stairs,
"Wewcome Gents, Let the 'unt begin!"
I only caught a quick glimpse of the fellow who spoke before we were swept out with the tide of eager huntsmen. I lost sight of Willow in the melee and once outside all I could do was follow the crowd up the hill and into the woods.
In the woods everyone began to spread out and move away quietly into the trees and I took the opportunity to wander away on my own.
As you know I have never been one to enjoy the hunt so I found a secluded spot and sat down upon a fallen tree trunk. I winced in some discomfort but weathered it and it gradually subsided. I passed the time by trying to identify all the trees about me and then when tired of that drew out my pocket knife and started whittling idly away at a twig.
I cannot say how long I had been sat there before I became aware of the presence of another but I suddenly turned to find a huge stag standing not ten feet behind me.
I do not know how I had not heard its approach but there it stood boldly returning my stare.
I raised myself up and expected it to flee at my movement but it stood its ground and lowered its head slightly.
"Shoo," I said.
It snorted and pawed at the undergrowth with one of its front hooves.
"Be off or I shall be forced to use this," I cried, brandishing my inadequate pocket knife.
It lunged forward and startled I stepped back and with a cry tripped over a protruding root and fell backwards into the thicket.
Almost immediately there was a loud explosion close by. I heard the stag fall and a flock of rooks flew up from the trees above wheeled away calling in alarm.
"Blimey!" someone said, "Well played, Fella!"
I looked up to find the fellow from the top of the stairs standing over me holding his still smoking gun. He was all smiles. He held out a hand to me and helped me up.
He did not release my hand once I was back on my feet but kept shaking it warmly.
"Arfur," he said.
"Arthur?" I repeated.
"No, Arfur...Arfur Foulksayke. Pleased ta meet ya"
I was pleased to meet him.
My hunt was over.

No comments: