Sunday

Sunday 16th November 1808

Dear Diary,
Such attention I received at breakfast. I was greeted with cheerful smiles by all about me and I even received a warm huglet from little Willy Tert. Mrs Crutchlow provided a magnificent breakfast repast and it was plain to see whose plate was the most generously laden as Ned placed it before me.
“I feel like the Prodigal Son,” I quipped.
Ned shook his head.
“Never heard of the Prodigals. Are they local?”
I smiled warmly at him. It was so good to be home.
“I suppose there is no need to ask how you shall occupy yourself today,” spoke Fanny.
“Indeed,” I mumbled, with a mouthful of sausage, “It’s the Knob for me!”
It was a cold day but the sun was lurking in the pale blue sky. It was so nice to feel the warmth of my Python between my legs as I wound my way up that familiar path through the trees.
I never tire of the view for it is constantly changing in subtle ways. I sat and gazed upon it and tried not to slip into melancholy and yet there was much to be melancholy about. Despite my greatest efforts I had lost that, that I most sought and I had hoped to end my diary on a happy and joyous note.
A sigh escaped me and I tried to change my thoughts and pondered upon the events that had occurred upon this very spot; here I tempted Father’s Todger into service, here I startled a murderous nun and here I met………I was startled from my reminiscence by the snapping of a twig and turned to find Willow standing there, a short distance away.
I gasped in fear and surprise.
“Hello,” he said, “I have been looking for you.”
“I don’t understand,” I muttered. “Are you alive?”
“I believe so,” he smiled, “for my heart is beating thunderously in my chest.”
“But, the ship….” I began. “It sank and….”
He stepped forward and took my hand and placed a finger upon my lips to quieten me.
“I am come,” he whispered, “for you, if you will have me.”
There were so many questions to ask him and so much I had to tell him and yet, it could wait.
“I think I love you,” I breathed.
“I know I love you,” he said.
And then he kissed me……………on the Knob.
It was the perfect place.

Oh Diary, I have my happy ending.
It is finished......for now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear!

I am very sad if this is indeed the end, but equally happy that it ended as it did.

Yours in eternal mystery,

-h

Anonymous said...

Dearest Wayne,

Words fail me.

Yours,

B.

p.s. at present

Anonymous said...

oh no! say it ain't so joe!! a lovely ending indeed but we want more!