Saturday

Saturday 15th November 1808

Dear Diary,
Quite a crowd had gathered upon the Quayside this morning awaiting news and just before lunch it was confirmed that the ship had indeed gone down. A fishing boat sailed into the harbour with wreckage and a handful of bodies found adrift at sea. As the corpses were hoisted ashore, suddenly all went black and I awoke to find myself in Heaven. An angel was bending over me, gently repeating my name with a tender smile upon his rosy lips. He bore a striking resemblance to the Reverend Peacock and then I realised it was the Reverend Peacock.
"Mr Austen, fear not! You have simply swooned. We must get you some attention," he whispered.
I was seen by a doctor and he pronounced me fit for the short journey to Far Corfe.
Mrs Norris fussed about me on my arrival and ordered a room to be readied.
"Is my Mother not here?" I enquired.
I was told that they had returned to Thrushcock some three days earlier as all repairs to my family home had been completed.
"Then I shall return there myself, to the bosom of my family, forthwith," I declared.
Mrs Norris looked crestfallen.
"That is not to say that your bosom is not welcome," I added awkwardly, "indeed, your bosom is quite magnificent and most welcoming and.......er.....well, I'll be off then." I thanked Mrs Norris and the Reverend Peacock for their kindness and climbed into the waiting coach.
I arrived at Thrushcock as the light was fading.
I was home at last.
The greeting from my family was as warm as I could have hoped for and they were eager to hear news of my adventures abroad but I sought the solitude of my room and once I had escaped the eager attentions of Father's Todger, mounted the stairs to the sanctuary of my chamber.
I had no sooner closed the door and sank upon the bed than I began to sob, uncontrollably, at the loss I felt within. How unfair is this life of mine? How cruel are the fates? Do I not deserve better than this?
There was a gentle knock upon the door and I tried to contain myself and regain my composure but the door swung open and I looked up to find Ned standing in the doorway. I was fighting back my emotions as I stood to greet my friend. He stepped forward and simply, and lovingly enfolded me in his manly arms and held me tight. It was the kind of embrace I have longed for, for so long and I began to weep again.
"I will never embrace Willow like this," I sobbed.
Ned's grip tightened and he held me until my sobs eventually subsided.
Finally we were standing in silence and I felt so safe and warm in his arms that I could almost have drifted off to sleep.
"Mr Austen," he said, finally "I know you are very upset and in a delicate state at the moment, but what is that I can feel poking me in my groin?"
I snuggled further into his shoulder and pulled him tighter as I felt his embrace slacken.
"Oh, just a pink oboe," I sighed.
He leapt back suddenly and stared at me in shock.
I could not help but laugh and when I pulled it out of my breeches, he laughed too, in happy relief.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Wayne,

Alas, you are safe at home with your family and now in the sanctuary of your chamber you have been comforted by Ned and you have poked him with your lovely pink oboe and upon showing it to him you have both ended the day with a laugh so things are not all bad.

There may be hope left, perhaps Willow is a good swimmer and may be adept at the breast stroke, the back stroke, the butterfly or even the Australian Crawl. You may be reunited yet. Do not give up!

Aquatically yours,

B.

Anonymous said...

Dear boy!

-h